An informative webinar for researchers interested in the latest technology and best practices for studying food and water intake as well as feeding kinetics of group-housed rodents in their home cage.
Food and water intake of rodents in a group-housed social environment is of particular importance in a variety of applications including models of obesity, diabetes, chronic pain, drug discovery screening, neuroscience and feed/liquid preference. Challenges exist to ensure accurate measurements of food and water intake for both short-term and long-term experiments while keeping animals in a stress-free and group-housed social environment. This webinar will provide an overview of how to monitor real-time food and water intake in a variety of applications using a complete home cage based platform solution for rodents.
In this exclusive webinar sponsored by MBRose ApS, experts will discuss methodology, best practices, and provide guidelines for implementing a real-time food and water intake protocol using group-housed rodents. Focus will be on study setup and data collection of water intake, meal size, frequency and duration. Examples will be provided of acute intervention studies like the leptin test as well as longer running experiments such as week-long food intake and eating behavior monitoring after hydrodynamic injection of plasmids with supposed effect in the brain. Methods and data will also be shown from an ethanol preference test in mice.
Key topics covered during this webinar will include…
- Food/water intake and feeding kinetics can be measured in group housed rodents in normal social context without human intervention
- Studies can be setup for both short and long-term experiments with automated data collection
- Versatility and flexibility of system design for a variety of experimental protocols
- Example protocols and data from acute intervention studies and liquid preference testing
- 00:00 – 01:47: Introduction
- 01:47 – 19:01: HM-2 System Overview (René Vestergaard)
- 19:01 – 34:18: Experimental Setup, Long-term Intake Data, Kinetics (Mads Kjolby)
- 34:18 – 47:55: Leptin Test & Ethanol Preference Test (Niels Wellner)
- 47:55 – 1:04:01: Q&A Session (data extraction demonstration begins at 59:50)
Click to watch the webinar recording. To view the presentation full screen simply click the square icon located in the bottom-right corner of the video-viewer.
To download a PDF copy of the presentation, click on the “LinkedIn SlideShare” icon located in the bottom-right corner of the slide-viewer. From the SlideShare landing page click the “Download” button to retrieve the file.
Dr. Mads Kjølby
Department of Biomedicine
Dr. Niels Wellner
Department of Biomedicine