Senior Surgical Scientist
Company: Northern Biomedical Research
Position Type: Full Time
Work location: On-Site
Job Type: Research & Development
Experience: 6-10 years
Industry: Preclinical Research
Location: Norton Shores, Michigan, United States
Phone (231) 246-7626
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides surgical services to support research protocols including, but no limited to, performing surgery, study set-up, pre-operative functions, OR supervision and post-operative follow-up
- Supports Study Directors and IACUC on study design as it pertains to surgical models
- Helps develop and implement new surgical models under direct supervision as necessary
- Trains or Coordinates training of surgical research staff
- Provides mentorship to research technicians
- Evaluates and amends procedures to keep up with best practices in industry
- Helps with procuring the equipment necessary to perform surgical services
- Has the ability to work extended hours beyond normal work schedule to include, but not limited to evenings and weekends; sometimes on short notice
- All other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum: BS, MS, or equivalent in animal or life science related discipline; at least 5 years of surgical-related research experience.
- Surgical Research Technologist (SRT) or Surgical Research Specialist (SRS) Certification through the Academy of Surgical Research.
- Ability to demonstrate the scientific relevance of using surgical models for development of treatments
- Demonstrate the ability to independently perform, direct, and assist with minor and major surgical procedures.
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot surgical techniques and associated surgical equipment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office core applications. Ability to learn and use additional applications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, both inside and outside the organization.
- Understanding of operational procedures in a Pre-Clinical environment and the ability to resolve complex issues