American Physiological Society
Address: 6120 Executive Boulevard, Suite 575, Rockville , Maryland, United States, 20852-4911
Phone: +1 301.634.7164
Physiology is a broad area of scientific inquiry that focuses on the biological function of living organisms. Today, physiology could not be more important. In fact, physiology is essential to answering virtually every critical question facing us in our understanding of life, health and disease.
Mission: To advance scientific discovery, understand life, and improve health.
Vision: A global multidisciplinary community of scientists solving the major problems affecting life and health.
Founded in 1887, the American Physiological Society is a global leader in expanding knowledge related to biological function. We connect a multidisciplinary community of nearly 10,000 scientists and educators from around the world, driving collaboration and spotlighting scientific discoveries in physiology and related disciplines. Our members are advancing treatments and cures for everything from cancer and heart disease, to obesity and addiction. They are also deepening our insight into living organisms generally, helping us to better understand how things like climate change are affecting the world around us.
The Society serves this dynamic community in many ways, including:
- Publishing 16 globally recognized scholarly journals and a highly-regarded book monograph series;
- Sponsoring scientific meetings and symposia that explore the frontiers of bio-medical science;
- Advocating for science-smart public policy that benefits both our members and the public;
- Bestowing hundreds of awards, grants, and fellowships that recognize scientific excellence and promise;
- Championing physiology education and educators, to support bigger discoveries and better clinical outcomes;
- And providing career resources and other career services, ensuring that all our members have a pathway to success.